HORSE RIDING CENTRE
We are lucky to be one of the only touring and camping sites in Devon with it's own Horse Riding Centre. You and your family can enjoy the experience of riding our horses and ponies over Stowford's 600 acres of natural open countryside.
We offer a range of rides to suit rider's individual experience, ensuring you will get the best out of your visit to Stowford Riding Centre.
Ride One: This ride is suitable for any experienced, capable rider who wishes to venture out of our purpose built track. It will take you across four of our open meadows approximately lasting 1 hour.
Ride Two: This ride is for the beginner riders or if you’re feeling a little nervous. This ride will take you out across 70 acres of our purpose built track. This is approximately one hour long. On the odd occasion we may ask a parent or guardian to accompany the ride on foot if their child is feeling nervous.
Ride Three: This ride is similar to ride two, being suitable for beginners and taking you across our purpose built track. This ride will last approximately 30 minutes.
Ride Four (paddock ride): This is ideal for any little ones wanting to go for a ride. This ride is slightly different to the other rides as the parent or guardian will lead the pony out onto our fields where they are free to have a little play around. This lasts for ten minutes. As the guardian or parent is leading the pony they are responsible for the child and ponies safety.
Through the winter we are offering Pony Mornings: Kids can learn more about ponies in this 2 hour session covering grooming, feeding, pony behaviour and body language, leading and managing a pony in the yard, how to exercise a pony without riding it, pony training and safety around ponies. The session also includes a 30 minute riding lesson.
To find out more about our range of ponies and their personalities the read our page Meet the Horses.
We can also offer Liverys and Birthday Parties, Please call us on the number below for more details.
|Ride One||1 Hour||£20|
|Ride Two||1 Hour||£20|
|Ride Three||1/2 Hour||£15|
|Ride Four||10 Minutes||£10|
|Pony Morning (winter)||2 Hours||£15|
- There is an age limit to our rides restricting us to ages 4 and above.
- All rides are assisted by an escort.
- All ride times are approximate and may run longer or shorter than stated.
- A rider is free to dismount if at any time they feel unsafe.
- The management reserve the right to cancel, change or alter the rides as they see fit, due to safety reasons.
Meet the Horses
Stowford Riding Centre have a number of well schooled horses and ponies available for riding lessons and trekking.
Dog Day Kennels
When you’re staying at Stowford with your four-legged friends you can take advantage of our purpose-built dog day kennels.
If your child is particularly interested in horses then we can provide them with a day* of fun and games with the horses.
They can invite up to seven friends that would enjoy a day of having their own pony. Dependent on levels of experience will depend on what we can provide for your child. However if you let us know 2 weeks before your child’s birthday we can organise a routine for them that will be fun and entertaining.
|Low Season||9.00am - 1.00pm
|Mid Season||9.00am - 5.00pm|
|Peak Season||9.00am - 5.00pm|
Stowford Riding Centre
Stowford Farm Meadows, Berry Down
Combe Martin, Devon, EX34 0PW
The stables are open from 9.00am until 5.00pm. However, in low season these times may vary. Please ring for further details.
Yes, we ask you to book at least one day in advance to avoid any disappointment.
We are unable to take children under the age of 4.
Every ride is assisted by an escort, however we do ask if you child is feeling particularly nervous to stay with them for the first 10 minutes just until they are a little more comfortable.
- At Stowford our number one priority is safety, we will ensure all standards of the facilities and tack are safe for all our riders. However, riders must accept that horse riding is a risk taking sport, horses can be unpredictable and accidents can happen as a result. Riders must expect the unexpected from any horse they are matched with and to always be alert around horses.
- All riders and visitors must follow the instructions of the staff, especially in times of danger.
- We advise all persons participating in any equestrian activities to ensure that they have adequate personal accident insurance.
- We allocate horses to riders taking into account experience and suitability, however all riders retain the right not to ride the horse allocated to them.
- All riders must wear a riding hat approved to BSI standard and suitable footwear with a defined heel. (These are provided).
- All riders are asked not to wear jewellery of any description when riding or in the stable area.
- Payment for lessons must be paid for before the lesson commences. Payment is accepted by cash or cheque.
- All cancellations of lessons require the client to give 24 hours notice. If the lesson can be rescheduled no extra charge will be due. However, if the lesson is cancelled with less than 24 hours notice, the full lesson fee will be due.
- Stowford Riding Centres staff reserve the right to dismount a rider or ride, if he/she considers them to be unsafe and not adhering to instruction given.
- The staff also reserve the right to cancel a ride without giving prior notice if he/she feel the conditions are unsafe for horse and rider.